ArcGIS for Environmental Analysis
This one-week intensive course will focus on core GIS skills and introduce some advanced topics, all with an emphasis on conservation GIS. This class is appropriate for new GIS users and for experienced GIS users wanting more in-depth instruction. Juniper GIS courses are based on real projects, with an emphasis on the skills needed to successfully and efficiently complete your projects.
Core GIS skills include compiling and organizing data, understanding projections, using symbology and labels to understand the data, working with table tools to maximize the database functionality of GIS, working with edit tools to create and clean the data, performing basic analysis, and creating finished maps. Students will get to practice and improve these skills while working through typical GIS projects.
Students will also be introduced to some advanced skills – working with Spatial Analyst, learning how to use raster GIS techniques for analysis, using ModelBuilder to create models and tools for analysis, and moving data to and from Google Earth.
The course will work with several analysis projects to demonstrate how these skills can be applied. These projects will use conservation and natural resource data from the US, Kenya and some local data from Mexico. Exercises will work with typical conservation scenarios, such as identifying areas for elephant habitat, displaying coral abundance levels on reefs, or finding sites for a solar greenhouse. If we have time, we will also see how to work with Google Earth and use GPS for some local data collection.
Topics will include:
- Using ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox
- Working with layers, data frames, & maps
- Understanding data types used in ArcGIS
- Projecting data between coordinate systems
- Bringing field data in from GPS
- Selecting and querying features
- Creating & using layer symbology in ArcMap
- Labeling features, working with annotation
- Creating Layer Files and Templates
- Managing & editing tables
- Editing data & managing edit sessions
- Basic Geoprocessing & Analysis tools
- Creating & Working with Metadata
- Creating layouts in ArcMap
- Using ModelBuilder for Analysis & creating tools.
- Working with Spatial Analyst
- Understanding Raster GIS & Raster Analysis
- Working with Excel
- Creating XY Point Locations from tables
- Georeferencing images
- Using ModelBuilder
- Working with Google Earth
See the full PDF Class Description for the Table of Contents for this course.